Last Updated on December 31, 2020
Camping in a van has always been a popular option for those who like to steer clear of the dreaded tent, and keep their feet dry.
By camping out in your van on your latest adventures, you can keep warm, dry, comfortable and cozy in a way that you could never before!
Decorating and renovating your van is the latest trend in the camping sphere. So many people are now creating mini mobile homes that can keep them comfortable when on the road. You can have your own shower, tiny kitchen, table, and sofa space all compact inside of your van.
Some people even opt to create a living space, complete with sofas and cushions for those short stops whilst on their road trips. These sofas can even be converted into a bed for staying the night.
Picture this: you are on your road trip. You have stopped for a little break to have some snacks and a moment away from driving. You open up your van doors to sit in the back and eat your favorite foods.
The sun starts to go down. Wouldn’t you just love to lay back and relax on your bed and watch the sky for just a moment?
Let’s make that dream a reality. With a camping mattress for your van you can do all of those things and so much more!
There are so many different mattresses on the market that you are bound to find one that will work great for you.
The only problem is getting one that fits into your van, but we have a buyer’s guide for you to work that out.
We know how hard it can be to find cozy home comforts that will fit in the small living space of your van, and how time consuming it can be.
So, we have created a guide to help you find the best camping mattress for your van, so that we can do the worrying, and you can plan your next trip instead.
Our Top Choice
Since you love spending your time in the great outdoors, we know that you do not want to wait to find the best camping mattress.
So we have searched for you. Our number one, top choice is the Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam mattress. This mattress is the perfect addition to your camping van!
With a triple fold design, you can use this mattress as a sofa in the day and pull it out into a bed at night for your convenience. The extra plush, foamy feel is super comfortable, whilst the memory foam will soften and support your back after those long days on the road.
This mattress has an easily removed cover that is machine washable for all of those little spills whilst on your travels. With the Milliard Tri Folding mattress, you can get a comfortable and great night’s sleep wherever you go, and when you are done with it, just fold it up and put it away for lots of free space.
This will become a staple of camping in your van and you will wonder how you ever lived without it!
Anyone will tell you that camping is all about saving space. The Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam Mattress is easily foldable and can be used as a sofa or a mattress, which is so convenient and adaptable for camping life.
With a memory foam feel, this mattress is very soft and comfortable for a beautiful night’s sleep wherever you go! With extra ventilation, this mattress is breathable, whilst supporting your spine all night.
What we love about this mattress is that it folds away so easily. It is lightweight and easy to put away in a matter of seconds. The 6 inch ultra thin design is perfect for fitting into tight spaces such as your camping van. With the anti-slip bottom, this mattress will stay in place whenever you move.
Even better, the Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam mattress has a removable and washable cover for your convenience!
- Foldable sofa mattress
- Lightweight, easy to pack away
- Washable removable cover
- Extra plush and soft
- Memory foam style
- Opens and closes away in seconds
- 6 inch
- Anti-slip bottom
- Will soften and lose firmness after a few uses
- The Milliard Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress allows you to get a comfortable night's sleep wherever you go. Simply unfold the foam bed on the floor in any room, mobile home, or tent for a comfortable night's sleep. This bed easily accommodates all your sleeping needs then folds neatly away for storage in seconds.
- Memory foam is known for the therapeutic qualities and comfortable support. The Milliard tri-fold mattress is ventilated for air flow to help regulate sleep temperature for maximum support and comfort.
- The Milliard Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress is the ideal solution to temporary sleeping accommodations. Perfect for unexpected sleep over guests, family reunion, dorm rooms, camping and traveling.
- The Milliard 6in. tri-fold mattress is constructed of 1.5in. of 3lb luxurious memory foam over a 4.5 inch supportive foam base for a great sleep experience. Our CertiPUR-US certified premium memory foam supersedes all with superior high density construction that will not lose its shape.
- Mattress includes removable jacquard ultra-soft cover with anti-slip bottom. Mattress in flat position measures 73in.x52in.x6in. When folded it measures 52in.x24.5in.x18in.
If you cannot decide whether you prefer a supportive innerspring style or soft, plush memory foam mattress, then we have the solution. The Linenspa 8 inch Hybrid mattress gives you the best of both worlds for a sleep that is tailored to your needs!
This 8 inch, low profile medium-firm mattress is perfect for on the road living. It has a tough, durable innerspring feature and a foamy top that contours to your shape. It even comes in a range of accessible sizes to fit into your van.
What is perfect about this hybrid mattress is that it has a memory foam top with extra support of the traditional innerspring mattress, for a medium-firm feel when camping.
The plush layer of memory foam is proven to help align your spine and minimize back pain for increased comfort during your sleep.
- 8 inch
- Medium firm
- Innerspring and memory foam hybrid
- Comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Short Queen, Queen, King, California King
- Available in 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch sizes
- Suitable for RV
- Very firm feel
- 8 inch hybrid mattress combine hypallergenic memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low-profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed as a bed in a box for convenient delivery and setup
- Available in a medium-firm 8-inch profile, a medium 10-inch profile, or a plush 12-inch profile that also features gel infusions and individually encased coils
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging; These carbons are harmless pieces of plastic and will not stick to your mattress; 10-year limited warranty
For a dreamy mattress that will make you feel like you are floating on air, try the Perfect Cloud Memory Foam Mattress. This foamy mattress can be purchased in Twin, Full, Queen, RV Short Queen, King and California King.
With a thickness of 8 inches, 10 inches, 11, and 12 inches available, you can take your pick depending on the space you have in your van.
The Perfect Cloud mattress has a thickness of 8 inches, that gives you a 7 inch layer of base that supports your spine, and a plush 1 inch top layer of gel infused memory foam for a medium firm foamy feel.
This mattress is thoroughly tested, with a memory foam layer that is proven to help eliminate nervous tension caused from common head, neck, shoulder and back pain that can keep you away and unrested.
With the cooling gel layer, you are sure to fall asleep and keep your temperature regulated throughout the night.
Mesh accents allow proper air flow and heat distribution, whilst the durable viscoelastic memory foam construction contours to your unique sleeping style and body shape to help alleviate pressure and help you sleep better.
- Comes in variety of sizes
- Foam, medium firm
- Can be bought in RV size
- Memory foam layers
- 7 inch layer base with plush 1 inch top layer
- 10 year warranty
- Very firm at first, will soften after use
- Harder and firm rather than medium firm as stated in description
- Design | Our Basics mattress has a unique 7-inch layer of base support foam with a plush 1-inch top layer of gel-infused air memory foam. These layers form a luxurious 8-inch mattress that provides a rejuvenating sleeping experience.
- Better Sleep | Our thoroughly tested memory foam helps eliminate nervous tension caused from common head, neck, and shoulder pain, which frequently keeps you awake and unrested while the cooling gel helps you fall asleep and stay temperature-neutral throughout the night.
- Premium Cover | Our best-in-class premium textile stretch knit cover offers a luxurious look and feel while the mesh accents allow air to flow freely in and out of the mattress improving heat dissipation.
- Weightless Sleep Experience | The durable viscoelastic memory foam construction contours to your unique sleeping style and body shape to alleviate pain while the motion isolation helps you stay asleep even with partners.
- 10-Year Warranty | You can purchase from Perfect Cloud with total confidence knowing that your new mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, designed in the USA, and backed by our incredible 10-year warranty. And with our outstanding Amazon customer service, your purchase is risk-free! All our Perfect Cloud mattresses sold on Amazon come with a 30-day trial. DIMENSIONS | 75 x 38 x 8 inches.
If you are the type of person that prefers to sleep on an innerspring style mattress, then the Linenspa Spring mattress is for you!
This mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King and will surely find a place in whatever camper van you own.
This innerspring mattress offers a firm feel, with a slightly cushioned foam layer for extra comfort, so that you are always supported in your sleep.
With a thickness of just 6 inches, this mattress is the perfect space saver for your van, and is lightweight enough to move around when on your travels.
If you are trying to create a home from home in your vehicle, you can also purchase this mattress with a platform bed frame that folds and assembles in just 5 minutes!
This mattress will make you feel right at home when camping.
- Innerspring mattress
- 6 inch thickness
- Comes in all sizes
- Foam cushioned layer
- Can be purchased with platform bed frame that folds down for storage
- Cannot cut to size, or will be extremely difficult to bypass springs
- Very firm feel- may need a mattress topper
- Your purchase includes one Linenspa 6-inch innerspring mattress, in twin size
- Item's dimensions: 39" W x 75"L x 6"H. Feel: Firm
- Fits box springs, slatted/platform bed frame and metal grids
- Remove packaging within 72 hours, and allow an extra 48-72 hours for proper decompression
- The Linenspa 6-inch Innerspring Mattress is a comfortable, supportive option for toddlers, kids, and teens as their bodies grow and develop
For a cost efficient, comfy mattress that will fit right into your van, try the AmazonBasics memory foam mattress. This mattress offers 3 foam layers for optimal softness and support that will simply contour to the body.
The middle soft foam layer has breathable air holes to allow circulation and breathability, whilst the hard foam bottom layer provides durability and stability.
The wavy surface texture allows additional airflow for a great night’s sleep. What we love about this mattress is that it comes in a multitude of sizes and thicknesses to suit your needs.
What is even better is that it is made of foam, which is really easy to cut through if you need it to fit in perfectly with your camping van.
- Cost efficient option
- Contours to the body
- Will be perfect if purchasing to cut to size
- Comes in Twin, Full, Queen, King and California King
- Comes in 6 inch, 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch
- Available in plush feel and medium firm feel
- Extra air flow
- 3 foam layers
- Larger thickness will limit space
- Contains fiberglass
- Not long lasting after extensive use
- Item's dimensions: 75" W x 39"L x 12"H. Item's weight: 38.3 lbs.
- Twin-size memory-foam mattress with 3 foam layers for optimal softness and support
- Plush-feeling memory-foam layer adapts to the contours of the body and comfortably conforms to different sleep positions
- A safe mattress to sleep on: Certipur-US certified foam, safe and quality foam and Oeko-Tex certified top fabric.
- The middle soft foam layer has breathable air holes, which allow air to circulate inside the mattress
Best Camping Mattress for Van Buyer’s Guide
Types of mattresses
There are so many different types of mattresses, that it can be hard to find one that suits your needs.
There are memory foam, gel, spring, extra firm and many other different types, so it is important that you have the right one for you and for your best sleep.
How to find the right mattress for your van
One of the most vital things that you will need to consider when looking for a camping mattress for your van is the size.
Vans, along with mattresses come in many different shapes, thicknesses and sizes, so you will have to gauge which ones will fit into your camping space.
First think about where you will put the mattress. If you are going to use it as a sofa in the day, and a bed at night then you will benefit from a foldable mattress that you can pull out whenever you need it.
These types of mattresses save you so much space and give you extra accessibility when it comes to the space in the back of your van.
You will also need to consider the thickness, especially if using a platform style bed with limited head space above.
The thinner the mattress, the more room you will have, but it depends on the type of mattress you prefer as innerspring mattresses tend to be a lot thicker than the foam.
You should always measure the space in which you wish to put your mattress so that you can decide which size is best, once you have the size sorted then you can think about comfort, firmness and design.
See below for our FAQ: ‘What size mattress do I need for a van’ for our mattress size guide.
Cutting to size
In addition, if you are considering cutting a mattress to fit your specific needs, then try to avoid innerspring mattresses as they are much harder to cut to size as they have metal components that will get in your way.
Foam mattresses are the easiest to slice through and have no obstructions, this way you can get the perfect fit when cut.
When it comes to a mattress, comfort is key. However, everyone’s best mattress is different. Some prefer a firmer innerspring design that will give you proper support, whereas others prefer memory foam that can offer a soft, plush feel and align your spine whilst supporting your joints.
In addition, you can purchase hybrid mattresses that are the best of both worlds; with metal springs for great weight distribution, and a layer of memory foam for breathability and a soft touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a mattress fit in a van?
Putting a comfy sleeping area and a mattress inside a van is the latest craze in mobile living or camping.
You can fit a mattress in a van easily, but this will depend on the size and specifications of your van, and also the dimensions of the mattress.
In some cases, many van owners will cut their mattress to fit the right specifications.
Fitting a mattress in your van is the perfect way to help you get cozy on your camping adventures!
What size mattress do I need for a van?
You may be surprised to find that many mattresses can easily fit inside of your camping van.
To find out which one will fit yours, you should first measure the dimensions of your van.
Once you have, you can use this easy guide to gauge which size will fit.
- King: 76 x 80 (inches)
- Queen: 72 x 84
- Full XL: 53 x 80
- Full: 53 x 75
- Twin XL: 38 x 80
- Twin: 38 x 75
- Single: 30 x 75
What kind of mattress is the best?
With so many different types of mattresses on the market, it can be hard to decipher which one will be best for your specific needs.
There are the most popular, memory foam mattresses, spring mattresses, gel-infused mattresses, or even regular mattresses with soft, comfortable toppers.
Memory foam mattresses are some of the most popular mattresses available. They mold to the shape of your body and support your back. They are super breathable, and make for a really comfortable sleep.
Most people prefer memory foam mattresses as they tend to distribute your weight evenly and keep your spine aligned.
However, this comes down to preference, or whether you suffer from any back or joint pain. Other people will still prefer the innerspring style mattress with coil springs to support a comfortable night’s sleep.
How do I cut a mattress to fit my van?
Looking for a quick hack to get any mattress to fit into your van? Cut it! All you will need is a measuring tape, a ruler, a marker, a serrated knife or an electric one.
The first step is to mark where you want to cut it. Ensure that you have measured to your van’s specific dimensions correctly, and line it with a marker to help guide you.
Using your ruler to keep you straight, you can begin cutting across the line, and make sure you are keeping a straight edge.
You will have to cut a lot to ensure that you have gone through the full thickness of the mattress. If not, then flip it over to the other side to cut through.