Last Updated on December 31, 2020
Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself – William Shakespeare
The open road is the place where dreams can become a reality. It’s the unending stretch of concrete that winds toward the horizon that is filled with endless possibilities and unfulfilled promises.
At least, that’s the way Jack Kerouac always made it sound, almost like it was an adventure waiting to be discovered.
And for the most part, Kerouac was right. The road can lead you anywhere you want it to, and most of the time you won’t even need a map to find out where you’re going, just a keen sense of curiosity and a desire to find out what lies over the next hill.
But even the most ardent and foolhardy of adventurers need to prepare themselves for all eventualities and whatever they might find and encounter while living on the road.
And the thing that every traveler needs to be armed against, is the weather. Turning against even the bravest soul in an instant, if you are going to venture out into the wild to see the world, you need to be ready for whatever hand the weather can, and will, deal you.
That’s why we’ve tracked down the best electric heaters that you can use to raise the temperature in your van, so no matter how cold it gets outside, wherever you are, you’ll always be warm as long as you’re in your van and your heater is turned up.
So let’s get ready to hit the road and turn up the heat…
Ontel prides itself on the fact that they offer innovative solutions to everyday problems in order to solve the seemingly impossible with easy answers.
It’s a philosophy that we can fully get behind and one that seems as though it was tailor-made for preparing you for a life of adventure on the open road. And given how effective and simple to use the Handy heater is, we’d be hard pushed to argue with them.
Don’t let its size fool you, this little heater packs more than enough power to bring the temperature up with just a trickle of power and can transform the frostiest of van environments into paradise with a quick nudge of it’s easy to use controls, that’ll raise and lower the heat at the touch of a button.
Running on Ontel’s Energy-Smart system, the Handy Heater uses just three hundred and fifty watts of power to effectively heat up to two hundred and forty-nine square feet, so it doesn’t matter how big or small your van is, the Handy Heater will keep the chills at bay and your van snug and warm.
Its twelve-hour programmable timer means you can set it while you’re out exploring, fetching supplies, or just taking a stroll and control the temperature of your can during the small hours of the morning, so you’ll never have to worry about returning to, or waking up in a cold van ever again.
With the Ontel onboard, the heat will always be, as Glen Frey once sang, on.
- Due to its sturdy and compact constriction, the Ontel is a surprisingly durable and tough little heater that’ll easily fit into, and find a home in any van.
- And thanks to miracles of modern science and the advance of technology, no matter how much it raises the temperature of your van, and how much heat it pumps out, the Handy Heater will always remain cold to the touch. So you adjust how hot it’s getting without worrying about burning your fingers on or being singed by Ontel’s hottest property.
- Able to heat up to two hundred and forty-nine square feet on just three hundred and fifty watts of power, this small heater is deceptively powerful and will be a welcome addition to any van owner’s vehicle. Believe us, when you jump back into your van after a cold day at the beach, you’ll be glad that the Ontel is working overtime to dispel the cold and welcome you home.
- It’s also incredibly affordable. You’ll be warm and your pocketbook and bank account will be happy too. That’s the kind of comfort and joy that everyone can appreciate.
- Once it’s on, it’s on and that’s it. There are no safety shut-offs or built-in measures to cut the heat and stop it from warming your van up. It’s made to do one thing, bring the heat and that’s exactly what this heater does.
- Even though you can program it, if you want to adjust the level of heat that it pumps out, you’ll have to do it by hand. It’s a minor inconvenience at best, but it’s an inconvenience nonetheless. But being a hardy van person, it’s one that we’re confident you’ll be able to take in your stride and easily live with.
- EASY TO USE: The Handy Heater is made for your convenience. Simply plug in the Handy Heater into any outlet for quick and easy heat instantly!
- DIGITAL TEMPERATURE DISPLAY: The Handy Heater features a digital temperature display where you can adjust to your ideal temperature. It also features a programmable 12-hour timer.
- COMPACT DESIGN: Have warmth and comfort wherever you like to relax - the Handy Heater’s compact design allows to travel with you wherever you’d like to keep warm.
- COOL TO THE TOUCH: The Handy Heater stays cools to the touch, so no worry about accidentally touching it and getting burnt! It’s hassle and worry free in any environment.
- ENERGY SMART HEATING POWER: The Handy Heater features 350 watt energy-smart heating power, to warm up your space no matter how big or small.
One of Europe’s fastest-growing air treatment brands, in just seven short years, Pro Breeze have sold their heaters and humidifiers to nearly half a million happy customers all over the world.
That’s a lot of heat and humidity for one little company to make, and the sort of numbers that should make any CEO sit up and take note of what’s happening in Pro Breeze headquarters.
Designed to be more efficient and raise the level of warmth in your van faster than conventional heaters do thanks to the advanced ceramic heating elements that it uses, the Pro Breeze has two power settings and can run at a power-saving seven hundred and fifty watts or at full blast can pump out twelve hundred watts of temperature increasing power.
Able, at the touch of a button, to oscillate through seventy degrees of horizontal motion, it’ll ensure that the heat it provides can reach every corner of your van, and as it operates at just fifty-eight decibels, you’ll barely even notice that it’s on.
Simple and straightforward to use thanks to its easily adjustable thermostat, the Pro-Breeze also features over-heat and tip-over protection, so if it gets too hot or falls over, it’ll automatically switch itself off.
Simplicity, safety, and warmth. The Pro Breeze is everything that a good van heater should be.
- At just ten inches high and six inches wide, the Pro Breeze is compact and light, which means that you’ll definitely be able to find some living space for it in your van.
- Safety is as important to Pro Breeze as making heat is, and the fact this heater is engineered to shut itself off if it falls over or gets too hot should provide all the reassurance you’ll need to sleep soundly in your van at night while it keeps you warm.
- It’s simple to use thermostat means that this plug and play heater can be used straight out of the box and won’t overwhelm you with unnecessarily complicated instructions. Just plug it in, switch it on, set the temperature and it’ll do the rest.
- The oscillation is a nice touch and one that we really appreciated. It lets the heat that it produces at a phenomenally quick pace reach every nook and cranny of your van in less time than it takes a roomful of teenagers to start arguing about who should be in charge of the television remote control.
- The Pro Breeze is, according to some rather disgruntled customers who haven’t been shy about expressing their opinions, plagued by reliability issues and manufacturing issues and woes. It would seem, according to customer feedback, that you’re either going to love the Pro Breeze or hate it and you won’t know which side of the fence you’re on until you actually use it to heat your van.
- Ceramic Technology: Engineered with advanced ceramic heating elements which provide faster and more efficient heating than traditional heaters. This electric heater is perfect for keeping you warm this winter.
- 6 Operating Modes & Oscillation: Features 750W (low) and 1500W (high) power modes as well as fan only mode. With the flick of a switch this electric space heater will automatically rotate with a wide 70° coverage for room wide warming. Simply turn oscillation off for a stationary heat stream.
- Adjustable Thermostat: An easy-to-use fully adjustable thermostat is built in to the mini heater to monitor the surrounding air temperature to ensure optimal heating and energy efficiency.
- Advanced Safety: Built in overheat protection and an enhanced tip-over switch ensures this indoor electric heater instantly switches off in any unsafe situation giving you complete peace of mind.
- Ultra Portable: This compact space heater features a lightweight and stylish design and with a quiet noise level of 58 dBA, is perfect for home, office, bedroom and under desk use. Dimensions: 6.77” x 5.06” x 10.79”. Power cord length: 70”.
Lasko has been keeping out the cold and raising the collective home temperatures of America for over a century.
Along the way, they’ve learned a thing or two about keeping their customers warm, and everything that they’ve learned is built into every single heater that bears their name.
This compact Lasko space heater has three power settings which let you choose between high heat, low heat, and fan only to finely control its eleven different temperature settings.
Measuring just nine inches tall by five and a half inches wide, it’ll turn the heat up no matter where you plug it in, and thanks to its automatic overheat shut-off, you’ll never have to worry about it, or your van getting too hot.
Cool to the touch, regardless of how much heat it’s making, this Lasko space-age heater will transform the temperature inside your van, and turn it into a cozy palace that you’ll never want to leave.
Its built-in carry handle will also let you take it anywhere you want to, whenever you want to, which means that it doesn’t have to become a permanent fixture of your van.
As long as there’s a socket available wherever you end up, the Lasko will make all the heat you want it to, no matter where you are in the world.
- Incredibly easy to use, you can literally take it out of the box, plug it in and you’re ready to go. The dual dial controls are intuitive and simple to get to grips with, which means you’ll be able to relax and enjoy all of the heat that the Lasko can make as soon as you’ve switched it on.
- And if it gets too hot? Don’t worry, it’ll just switch itself off and won’t let you turn it on again until it’s cooled down and ready to go.
- Small, light, and strong, the Lasko hasn’t met a van that it can’t heat and doesn’t like. It’s an ideal heating solution for your transport and can warm even the coldest van up in record time.
- It’s another electric heater that, according to some less than happy costumes, has more than a few gremlins and a tendency to burn out its heating elements if it’s left on for too long.
- 3 quiet settings - including high heat, low heat, and fan only make this electric space heater ideal for warming up an area in your home or home office. Combined with an adjustable thermostat This personal space heater is great from small areas.
- Adjustable thermostat - allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating element. With 11 different temperature settings you're sure to find a comfortable setting. Simply turn the dial to the heat setting you desire and enjoy comforting heat.
- Convenient carry handle - makes it easy to move the space heater. Thanks to the heater's compact Size and convenient carry handle you can easily move the heater from the kitchen, to the bedroom, or under the desk.
- Built-in safety features - overheat protection ensures the space heater does not overheat even if left on for an extended amount of time. The space heater also features a cool-touch exterior. This allows the the space heater's body to stay cool even when it's on high.
- Fully assembled - allows you to take the heater out of the box and have it working it minutes. Simply plug the heater into a wall outlet, select your desired heat and thermostat settings, and enjoy the warmth from your new Lasko space heater.
It may say Bovado on the box, but this space heater was actually designed and made by Comfort Zone.
And if you’re wondering why that name is familiar, it’s because they’re one of America’s leading manufacturers of heaters and have forged a sterling reputation that was built on the back of the two things that matter most to Comfort Zone, reliability and durability.
Just nine inches high and five inches wide, this super-portable space heater has a fully adjustable, dial operated thermostat and three different power settings so it’ll conquer the cold no matter where you roam in your van.
Equipped with overheat and tip-over shut off, you won’t need to worry about it succumbing to the rigors of its job or environment, as it’s been made with safety and functionality in mind.
Its fan-forced heat distribution system ensures that it’ll evenly warm, and raise the temperature in, your van at a pace that suits you.
Ar six and a half pounds and with its own in-built carry handle, it’s as easy to position as it is simple to operate, and before you can say “I’m a Dodge person, I don’t do Volkswagen” you’ll be soaking in all of the delicious, warm air currents that the Bovado (or Comfort Zone as it’s known to its friends) generates.
Get into the zone and let the comfort of space made heat carry you away.
- Light, compact and powerful, this Comfort Zone Space Heater can dispel a van-based cold snap with a twist of a dial. Plug it in, turn it up and your van will never be cold again.
- The fan-driven ceramic heating system that it uses was engineered to ensure a smooth, and even, heat dispersal, so while it may not be the quickest way to heat up your van, the Comfort Zone is one of the most efficient and effective.
- It’s another plug and play electric heater that’s been built to be used straight out of the box and will be ready to go as soon as you are.
- It’s a little noisy, so if you’re looking for a heater that’ll help to lull you to sleep and guide you to the realm of dreams while you’re spending the night in your van, this heater won’t do that. It won’t shake you awake with teeth-rattling volume either, but it might stand in the way of the gateway to, and prevent you from peacefully entering, the land of nod
- EASY TO USE: Simply turn the dial to high or low heat, or fan only, and then, using the other dial, adjust the intensity to your comfort. A red power indicator light shows when the device is on.
- SUPER PORTABLE POWER: Small in size and lightweight with a convenient carrying handle, this portable heater can take away the chill and warm you up whenever and wherever you need it.
- SAVVY TECHNOLOGY: These heaters use a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heating system in which specialized ceramic heating discs enhance the transfer of heat in small spaces.
- LOWER YOUR HEATING COSTS: By heating only the room you are in with this heater, you slightly lower your house-wide thermostat, which can save you money on seasonal energy bills.
- COMFORT ZONE FOR YOUR SAFETY: As a leader in safety and reliability, Comfort Zone products are designed and tested to meet strict global quality standards like UL, ETL, SAA, CE, CSA, & NOM.
While size might not be everything, when it comes to making as much heat as you possibly can as quickly as you can, sometimes bigger really is better.
It can get really cold out there, and the colder it is outside, the colder it’ll be inside in your van. And the best way to fight that cold off is with a super-sized, Lasko Space Heater.
Standing twenty-three inches tall, this tower of heating power has a wireless remote control system (and can also be controlled manually in case you lose the remote somewhere in the multi-dimensional pocket universes that dwell underneath the seats of your van) that governs the oscillation of the heater, lets you set the temperature and power settings and enables you to program everything that it can do in one to eight-hour increments.
With built-in overheat protection and cold touch technology, the monstrously powerful Lasko space heater can turn the tables on even the coldest van and make the bleakest of winter evenings feel like you’re relaxing on a beach in the middle of summer.
Just because you’re heating your van, it doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice power for space, as the Lasko might be tall, but its design means that it’s surprisingly adaptable and will easily fit into any available corner of your van.
Lasko made their name with heat, so maybe it’s time to let them bring a little of what they’re good into your life.
- It oscillates. It’s remote-controlled. And it even has an eight hour, programmable auto-timer. It’s a major league heater that’ll knock the cold right out of your van shaped ballpark at the touch of a button.
- Incredibly quiet, this leviathan of a space heater will bring the temperature of your van to boiling point in less time than it takes a Hellcat to cover a standing quarter mile.
- It’s tall and isn’t exactly the most portable of electric heaters. And even though it has an inbuilt overheat cut-off, we can’t help thinking that given its size and shape, the Lasko could also have benefitted from being fitted with a tip-over shut-off as well.
- 2 Quiet Settings - including high heat and low heat plus an Auto setting make this electric space heater ideal for warming up an area in your home or home office. With widespread oscillation this heater distributes warm air throughout the room
- Adjustable Thermostat - with digital display allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating element. With an easy to read digital temperature display you can select a wide range of temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Remote Control & Built-in Timer - allows you to adjust the heater's temperature, timer, oscillation and more from a distance. While the easy to program timer allows you to select 1 hour to 8 hours, in 1 hour intervals
- Built-in Safety Features - overheat protection ensures the space heater does not overheat even if left on for an extended amount of time. While a cool touch exterior keeps the heater cool to the touch even after running for hours
- Fully Assembled - allows you to take the heater out of the box and have it working it minutes. Simply plug the heater into a wall outlet, adjust the thermostat, and enjoy the warmth from your new Lasko space heater
Best Electric Heater for Van Buyer’s Guide
Which Electric Heater Should I Use To Keep My Van Warm?
Before you even begin to consider which electric heater is the one you want to use to beat back the cold in your van, you’ll need to ensure that you either have an adequate power supply on hand to power it or will be parking your van close to one that you can use.
Electric heaters need electricity to work and without it, they’re useless and can’t do what they’re supposed to do. So make sure you’ll have the power you need for an electric heater before choosing one
As almost all of the electric heaters on our list are similarly priced, the primary factor that will determine which electric heater is the best one for your van is space. How much space for a heater do you have in your van?
If you’re limited by the amount of room that your van has for a heater, then we’d always recommend that you make the most of what little space you do have and use a Pro Breeze to heat up your van when the nights, and days, out on the road get a little colder.
However, if space isn’t an issue, then we’d strongly advise you to consider investing in a Lasko Remote Control Space Heater, as it’s versatile, adaptable and as we’re sure that you already know, remote control makes everything better.
Happy travels, and wherever it is you decide to venture to next, may you always be safe and warm inside your van.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is An Electric Heater?
An electric heater is a device that works by converting electrical current into heat.
The heating element in almost all electric heaters is a resistor that works by converting electrical energy into heat energy and then discharging that energy, as heat into the space that it is located in.
Also known as space heaters, electric heaters are used to warm localized areas and small rooms or places in which a more traditional form of heating, such as a fireplace or radiators, cannot be used effectively.