Last Updated on December 31, 2020
For intrepid outdoor explorers who like to retain some creature comforts from home, an electric stove is a godsend.
Whip up anything you’d make at home, wherever you are in the world, from a pint-size portable model that fits in your bag.
Figuring out the important features can be difficult, especially if you aren’t well-versed at camping and cooking in the great outdoors.
Not to worry though, as that’s where we come in!
After doing all of the extensive research, so you don’t have to, we’re proud to present our top five picks for portable electric stoves.
With options sure to suit every customer and budget, everything you need is in this one convenient list.
For a thorough, yet clear and understandable breakdown of everything you should consider before hitting Add To Cart, have a look through our Buyer’s Guide.
It’ll make deciding which product is for you a whole lot simpler!
Last but not least comes the set of FAQs we’ve prepared. After scouring the net for common questions from other customers seeking portable stoves, we’re providing answers to all of them, in the hopes it will answer some of yours too.
In Serious Need Of A New Stove? Here’s Our Top Pick:
Available as a single or a double hotplate, using either stainless steel or infrared cooking technology, the gang at Cusimax are offering a versatile product here, and one that’s sure to suit any customer in a hurry.
Though small and light, the durable cast iron heating place is controlled with an adjustable temperature control knob, boasting seven thermostatically controlled heat settings for whatever it is you want to cook up.
Packing 7.4 inches of cooking space, it’s compatible with any cookware, even aluminum copper and cast iron. Built to withstand consistent use, even outdoors, the non-slip feet keep everything where it should be and prevent accidental spillages.
A simple indicator light and automatic shut off when overheated offer plenty of peace of mind for wary users – the temperature is regulated like a household thermostat, and once a certain heat is reached, the machine cuts out for your safety.
Though it requires only 1500 watts (120 volts), you’ll find this portable stove heats thoroughly and consistently, minimizing heat loss or hot spots and conserving energy to ensure you get the same experience whilst camping that you would when home.
- Quiet, high-heat that maintains temperature throughout cooking
- Cast iron plate suitable for use with any cookware
- Seven different temperature settings
- Simple wipe clean maintenance
- 20 minutes required for the burner to cool completely
- [❤ MULTIPURPOSE & PORTABLE] - CUSIMAX Hot Plate is ideal for office use, camping, parties, boats, RVs, student accommodation, traveling or as an extra cooking utensil in your kitchen. Because of its small and light size, you can easily to used in confined spaces or anywhere.
- [❤ 1500W & EASY TO CONTROL] - CUSIMAX Hot Plate used 7 thermostatically controlled heat settings conveniently to cook a variety of foods such as warm sauces, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, soup, pasta, vegetables and so much more. Also you can use it as extra burner to keep food warm.
- [❤ ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE AND SAFE] - CUSIMAX hot plate is equipped with a powerful 7.4 inches heating plate, compatible with pots and pans with maximum size of 7.4 inches. CUSIMAX hot plate can be used with any type of cookware in your home, such as aluminium pans, copper pans, cast lron frying pans and non-magnetic stainless steel pans can heats cookware efficiently with minimal heat loss. Also, compared to induction cookers, hot plate is safe to use and doesn’t emit harmful radiation.
- [❤ SAFE & EASY TO CLEAN] Black Stainless steel body built to withstand frequent use. Simply wipe with a clean cloth when cool. The non-slip feet ensure that the unit stays firmly in place. Overheat protection and stylish indicator light for safe use. Automatic safety shutoff function with temperature regulated by a thermostat, to avoid damage or injury.
- [❤ NOTICE] CUSIMAX offer a outstanding 30-day hassle-free return policy & 18-month promise. We assure you that no other countertop burner beats our products' high-caliber quality & efficiency. All CUSIMAX products are covered by Product Liability Insurance of United States. For details, please refer to the instruction manual. (Note: It is normal the machine will get hot because it has higher calorific value when it works. It’s normal that the heating light may cycle on and off during operation.)
Again, you have your choice of a single or a double burner with this stainless steel, cast iron hot plate from Cukor. Compact and lightweight, this bad boy slips easily into your bag but produces plenty of heat for such a small design, at just under 4lb.
Working silently and suitable for use with any and all cookware, the temperature is adjusted conveniently by using the simple control knob. An indicator light lets the user know things are heating up, though this may cycle on and off during use.
In an eco-friendly move, the burner switches on and off in order to automatically maintain the temperature you’ve selected; it is also equipped with overheating protection in the form of a thermal fuse, which trips when the limit is passed.
Supplied by 120V or 1500 watts of power, it doesn’t take much to get this stove going, and the voltage regulator ensures you’ll never overload the circuit, even if you accidentally hook it up to more than enough electricity.
Thanks to a 30-day return or 18-month replacement policy, customers can purchase this product with peace of mind – even if it doesn’t meet your expectations, you can come to a resolution that suits you.
- Comes as either a single or a double burner
- Environmentally friendly cycling system – save 30% on energy
- Simple to use, easy to control
- Can be used with any pots or pans you like
- Requires ten minutes preheating before use
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL COOKWARES: Works with 120V/1500W power supply. Perfect solution for frying, stir-frying, cooking soup and slow cooking, and can also be used for home-style Teppanyaki and BBQ with a barbeque plate and rack. The burner can be used with any flat-bottomed cookware made of a variety of materials. Examples are frying pans, woks or stovetop teapots made from aluminum, stainless steel, ceramic or glass.
- ECO-FRIENDLY& EFFICIENT: The burner cycles on and off to maintain the desired temperature automatically. It is equipped with thermal fuse for overheating protection.The temperature ranges from 80℉ to 1058℉.It is safe and saves 30% electricity compared with traditional induction cooker.
- PORTABLE: Being small in size and light in weight, the compact design makes the burner consume little space, thus a perfect travel solution. Easy cleaning with wet cloth. It is an ideal choice in many places such as student dorms, offices, camping sites, RV and home. Cast-iron hot plate needs to be preheated for 10 minutes for best use, and it takes about 20 minutes for a hot plate to cool down, keeping the food warm longer. Please do not touch the burner body when in use.
- SAFETY & DURABILITY: The burner includes features such as: no radiation, no fire used, no carbon monoxide, voltage and thermal regulator for protection,no stovetop required. It fits cookware as heavy as 22 lbs. Its body is built with stainless steel for durability. As a partner of Amazon, our factory has passed BSCI certification，all our products are certified by ETL.
- WARRANTY: Our product comes with a 30-day return policy and an 18-month free replacement policy for your worry-free customer experience. Please contact us should you have any questions, and we will get back to you in 24 hours.Note:Please clean the burner after it cools down.
Certainly the most expensive portable stove on our list, this cooktop from Schones Bauen is definitely an investment, but for campers who like to spend time outside in style, this is the one. Attractive AND functional, it looks good in a kitchen, too!
Though it’s bigger and better, you’ll still only require 120 volts for powering this touch-controlled, elegant stove. Program a timer from anywhere between 1 and 170 minutes, with a range of 140 to 460 degrees Fahrenheit to choose between.
Use of thermal shock black glass allows for a long-lasting surface that is glossy and water-resistant, and should survive most if not all of the harsher weather conditions you’d be likely to encounter on your next camping trip.
Capable of managing up to 44lb on its double burners, you’ll be able to cook up a meal for the whole family in no time at all, and it’s even lockable so the controls can;t be altered (or messed with by little hands) when in use.
You can even permanently install this stove in your kitchen if you want to – if you suddenly decide you no longer care for camping, there’s no need to get rid of this excellent investment – just upgrade it to a spot in your house!
- Shock-proof black glass top is solid and easy to clean
- Simple touch controls
- Thin, light and easily stored
- Portable or built-in, depending on your preferences
- The most expensive choice on our list
- BUILT-IN & PORTABLE. This electric double burner stove top can be built-in or used as a portable induction cooktop, with the most elegant design and the perfect size for your kitchen. Thin and light portable burner for both purposes.
- PLUG & COOK. This electric hot plate works at 110/120 V, 50/60 Hz. Energy use: 1.6 Kilowatt Hours. Dimensions: 13.39 x 23.62 x 2.76 inches. This item requires induction compatible cookware with at least 10 cm diameter of magnetic material on their base, otherwise it won't work. The maximum power will be split when using the two induction zones at once.
- THERMAL SHOCK BLACK GLASS a long-lasting surface that places it as a top induction stove. It has a glossy design that incorporates water-resistant touch controls. The material of the cover allows it to be easily cleaned and polished and does not affect the heat produced by the pots and pans.
- TOUCH CONTROLS. Smooth, elegant, and water-resistant touch control with lockable function. This electric cooker has a programmable timer from 1 to 170 minutes. Induction hot plate with temperature control from 60 to 240 °C (140° to 460 °F).
- This electric cooktop supports up to 44 lbs/ 20 kg on its two 8.2 inches/21 cm diameter electric burner s, which makes this induction cooker a very versatile stove top. In addition, this electric double burner portable cooktop is easy to store and transport.
From a brand name you know at a price that won’t break the bank, this double burner from Techwood is powered by infrared technology and will have you cooking outdoors like you’re in an industrial kitchen. It also comes as a single burner, too!
The ceramic cooktop supposedly heats up much faster than a conventional oven you’d find at home, whilst the solid stainless steel handles stay cool and safe to touch whilst you’re cooking, to ensure safe transport every time.
Combining timeless stainless steel and crystallite glass to create a compact, flat stovetop that is more than safe to use in confined spaces. All of your cookware will be safe to use, from copper pans to non-magnetic stainless steel.
Very simply adjust your temperature with one of the two stylish thermostatic control knobs, to cook up a variety of versatile dishes using techniques that range from simple to Michelin-star levels of complexity.
Capable of withstanding consistent use, the ceramic panels are wipe-clean and incredibly simple to maintain, as is the brushed stainless steel body, which polishes to a shine with very little effort on your part.
- Stay-cool handles for easy portability
- Non slip padded feet for additional security
- Indicator lights and simplistic temperature controls
- Worry-free 6month warranty with friendly customer service
- Slightly bigger and bulkier as a two-burner than other models on our list
- ✔ PORTABLE KEEPS COOL HANDLES - Techwood infrared ceramic cooktop heats up food faster than conventional cooking ranges. Solid stainless steel riveted handle stays cool and comfortable during cooking. Ergonomic design ensuring safe transport and keeps cool on the stovetop.
- ✔ MINI SIZE & PORTABLE-Techwood hot plate used timeless stainless steel and crystallite glass design, compact and flat makes it perfect for dorms, studios, RV/caravans, work, camping, everyday use or as an extra cooking appliance in the busy kitchen. Because of its small and light size, you can easily to used in confined spaces or anywhere.
- ✔ ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE - Techwood electric stove can be used with any type of cookware in your home, such as aluminium pans, copper pans, cast lron frying pans and non-magnetic stainless steel pans can heats cookware efficiently with minimal heat loss. Ceramic panel and stainless steel body to withstand frequent use. Simply wipe with a clean cloth when cool.
- ✔ MULTIPURPOSE - Techwood portable burner heats efficiently to cook a variety of foods such as warm sauces, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, soup, pasta, vegetables and so much more. Also you can use it as extra burner to keep food warm.
- ✔ CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPPORT - Techwood offers an worry-free 18-month promise and friendly customer service, our customer service team will be online all the time to help you. All Techwood products have relevant safety certificates and are protected by US Product Liability Insurance. See the user instruction manual for details.
Last but not least is this surprisingly affordable double burner from Ovente, with two hotplates at six and seven inches. You’ll be able to cook multiple dishes at once, or feed every hungry camper around in record time, as it heats up in seconds.
Constructed of heavy-duty metal, the burner’s housing is effective in resisting those higher temperatures, nor is it susceptible to warping, bending or rust, even when you’ve been using it for years. Ideal for consistent campers!
With an indicator light that illuminates once desired temperature has been reached, all you need to do is turn the simple control knob and choose the required setting. The stove will then maintain this, doing all the hard work for you.
Simply wiping clean with a damp cloth is all the maintenance needed to take care of this stove. Kiss those hours spent scrubbing and scouring at tough stains goodbye, even when you’re cooking in the middle of the woods.
Small but mighty anti-skid feet keep the unit standing steady at all times, even on surfaces that aren’t especially sturdy themselves, and all you’ll need to power it is 1700 watts, at 120 Volts, to cut your cooking time in half.
- Two burners at 6 and 7 inches for even faster cooking times
- Seconds to heat up, so you can start prepping straight away
- Simple, wipe clean maintenance
- Durable and heat-resistant metal housing
- Customers report cool-off time can be longer than other models
- Heats Up in Seconds – The Ovente Electric Cast-Iron Burner is equipped with a 7.25” and 6.10” cast-iron plate and powered by 1700W (120V) of power. It heats up quickly and cooks food evenly without any hot or cold spots.
- Heavy Duty – Made with a durable stainless housing that effectively resists high temperatures and fire. It won’t easily warp, rust or bend even after years of usage.
- Keeps the Right Temperature – This electric burner has an indicator light that illuminates until the burner reaches the desired temperature. Just turn the control knob and choose the appropriate temperature setting for your food and the burner will maintain the heat.
- Easy to Clean – You do not need to scrub off food drippings and oil splatters from the unit. Simply wipe the non-electrical parts with a damp sponge or disinfectant kitchen wipe and pat dry.
- US-based Customer Service lets you buy with confidence. Ovente warranties that the product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and conditions, for 1 year from the original purchase date.
Best Portable Electric Stove Buyer’s Guide
Why use electricity?
When it comes to outdoor cooking, you might be wondering why we’re focusing on an electric appliance, as opposed to one powered by gas. Firstly, because it means you don’t have to bring any propane or natural tanks with you!
Though you may have to pay to hook up to campsite electricity if you don’t have your own generator, this will be much cheaper in the long run than continually stocking up on fuel, and save you a ton of packing room to boot.
Likewise, where all stoves can be dangerous in that they generate a significant amount of heat, there’s no open flame on an electric stove. In the same vein, there’s also no potential for unnecessary release of gases that are toxic in large quantities.
The fact that an electric stove or hotplate is usually flat also decreases the likelihood of spillages or falling pots and pans, providing a steady surface to cook on, that’s also a lot easier to get – and keep – clean afterwards.
It’s also worth pointing out that with an electric stove, you have far greater control over the temperature you’re cooking at. Sure, you can turn a gas stove down to its lowest setting, but what does that even mean?
Features to consider:
Perhaps the most obvious thing to think about here is how big you want your new stove to be. Size-wise, you want a model that’s portable enough to fit in the trunk of your car or in a large camping rucksack without weighing you down.
The smaller, the better, you might say, and you’d be right. Bigger stoves will only take longer to hit peak temperatures, but they do offer more space for cooking, so it’s a compromise you’ll have to figure out yourself.
Off the back of point number one, considering how many hot plates will be sufficient for you is important too. Solo campers will be more than fine with just the one, but for families, two is going to make mealtimes much more efficient.
We’d also advise you to think about wattage. Whether you’re using your own portable generator, the battery of your car, or hooking up to campsite power, the number of watts your stove needs to run can make or break your trip.
The majority of portable electric stoves on the market will require between 500 and 1500 watts, which is significantly less than your oven at home. Still, making sure you’ll be able to run it successfully in advance is always wise.
The time it takes to fully heat up and be ready for food preparation is also pertinent – who wants to wait an hour to boil a can of soup? The more you’re willing to spend, the quicker that period of pre-heating is, so your budget comes into account too.
You might not think this is important, but cooldown time is also worth thinking about. What if you make breakfast and want to get on the road straight away, but your stove is too hot to put away and might melt or damage your other belongings?
Similarly, the number of different heat settings that are available to you might also be of interest. Being able to choose a lower or higher temperature depending on what you have cooking up will allow for more efficient use of the stove.
Depending on how often you go camping, you may want to spend more or less money. Those who regularly snooze beneath the stars will benefit more from shelling out those extra few bucks, but for indoor enthusiasts, a budget model should suffice.
Will any small or furry friends be joining you on your trip? Maybe you’re a clumsy chef yourself? Either way, the safety features on a stove are worth thinking about. Automatic shut off, for instance, is useful for the scatter-brained among us.
Additionally, a model with lights to indicate temperature settings and defense against overheating is also going to be easier to monitor. Raised feet to keep your stove on steady ground and generate airflow is another small but mighty feature.
You also want a stove that’s easy to maintain and won’t take hours to restore to its former glory after a few uses. Simple designs that allow you to remove the hotplate and wipe clean any lingering messes are always best.
It’s always worth noting, however, that in the event of a power outage, you won’t be able to use any stove that’s reliant on electricity to function. Always consider your backup options and make sure you’re prepared for any outcome!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is induction cooking bad for your health?
The process of heating by induction essentially involves an electric coil beneath the surface of the hotplate. Electricity flows through this circuit, generating a current that is converted into heat, then transferred to whatever it is you’re making.
As it doesn’t involve the use of gas or an open flame, it’s probably more accurate to say that induction cooking is the safest method of food preparation! The electromagnetic fields produced, contrary to popular belief, aren’t going to harm you.
Are there any downsides to induction cooking?
When it comes to kitchen cookware, the cost of a built-in induction cooker is far more expensive than a traditional gas stove. This is because it costs more to produce, but is actually a lot cheaper to power and maintain in the long run.
However, when it comes to a portable induction hob, the price difference isn’t noticeable. All you need to worry about is the pans you’re using! Copper and aluminum (and certain stainless steel) cookware won’t work with induction.
Fortunately, there is a very simple test to check if your chosen pan is suitable: just grab yourself a magnet! Should it successfully stick to the bottom of your skillet, then you’re good to go.
Will cast iron scratch an induction cooktop?
Most indoor (aka, non-portable) induction stoves will have a glass surface, which succumbs to scratching very easily, especially when you’re using cast iron cookware. However, this likely won’t be a problem with your portable model.
As it’s designed for use outside, it’s very rare the surface will be made from glass. Frankly, that’s just asking for trouble. You probably won’t have to worry about scratches here, though if it’s just camping equipment… it’s gonna get messy anyway!