Last Updated on December 31, 2020
Whether you want it for your home, or whether you want it for your caravan for when you go on camping trips, a small water heater can save you a lot of space while efficiently heating up water for different uses.
It can be used for any sort of activity that requires heated up water, be it a shower or bath, doing laundry, or even washing the dishes.
It is ideal for caravans and converted vans, so that you have hot water even when on the go and camping, and many people also use it to save space in small homes.
Small water heaters are also designed to be a lot more practical, thanks to their smaller size, and they are usually much easier to install.
Many small water heaters are also extremely energy-efficient, with many eco-smart options that are ideal for those that live on the go!
Small water heaters are becoming increasingly popular, with more and more options being offered in today’s market.
There are many different types, with electric tankless water heaters being the most convenient and popular (and usually the best option too).
Tankless water heaters are also smaller, so they make for the best water heaters capable of saving space while being efficient.
If you’re thinking of purchasing a small water heater and you’re not sure where to start looking for one, we have you covered.
We’ve done the research and have compiled a list with our top five picks for overall best small water heaters.
Bosch is a huge brand, highly well-known, and a leader in home appliances. With a Bosch product, you’re immediately guaranteed a high standard of quality and reliability, so it is no wonder that it’s the provider of our top choice!
This electric mini-tank water heater has a capacity of 2.5 gallons of water, and can conveniently fit either under your sink or in any other small space!
It is very easy to install and can be wall-hung or floor-mounted, as it adapts to the space you have available. It has a thermal efficiency of 98%, and will quickly heat up the water as soon as you need it.
It is also very easy to maintain, made from a premium glass-lined material for an enhanced life-span and durability. The CFC-free foam insulation also further increases efficiency, making this water heater highly capable.
Compact, sleek-looking, and highly efficient. It’s an excellent product that will provide you with the hot water you need!
- Well-known and reliable leading brand
- 2.5 gallons of water capacity
- Compact and convenient – fits anywhere
- Easy to install – wall-hung or floor-mounted
- Thermal efficiency of 98% and no waiting time for hot water
- Premium glass-lined material – highly durable
- No downsides
The EcoSmart ECO Tankless Water Heater is another excellent choice, with an innovative design and technology that allows it to be highly efficient and convenient.
It has a capacity of 2 gallons per minute, and as it is tankless, it heats the water as it passes through rather than storing it. This means it provides you with endless hot water for as long as it is running, and there is no waiting time!
The sleek design makes it highly space-efficient, allowing it to mount on any wall, out of the way.
EcoSmart features a highly advanced self-modulating technology, meaning it only uses energy when needed. This allows it to save up to 50% on water heating costs, according to the Department of Energy, so it’s well worth having!
This water heater also features a digital temperature control so that you can adjust the water temperature between 80 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Overall, it’s a highly efficient and money-saving choice, small enough to fit on any wall, and able to provide you with endless hot water for all of your needs!
- Innovative design and technology
- 2 gallons per minute water capacity
- Sleek and small design – wall-mounted
- Highly advanced self-modulating technology – saves up to 50% on costs
- Digital water temperature control
- Water temperature is not always stable
- The product is highly durable
- The product is easy to use
- Manufactured in China
- Amperage (amps): 75. Activation flow: 0. 3 GPM. Flow Rate @ 35 F Rise (gallons/min): 3. 51 gal (US)/min
- The product works and is compatible with 2 X 40 AMP (DP) breakers and 2 X 8 AWG wire
The Stiebel Eltron Store Tankless Water Heater is a highly practical and convenient option that covers all the basics and more to a great level of quality.
It has a small and sleek design and can be wall-mounted and installed for use in the house or other. It features an Advanced Flow Control German patented technology that maintains the water temperature for constant comfort and uninterrupted hot water.
If the hot water demand for some reason exceeded the capacity, the flow of water would be reduced but would still remain uninterrupted! It also has an auto-modulation feature, allowing you to save on water heating costs, and enhancing efficiency as a whole.
It’s completely noise-free when in use, and it has a digital temperature display for you to keep track of the water temperature, which can be adjusted between 86 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
To ensure customer satisfaction, this product comes with a 7-year leakage and 3-year parts warranty.
- Wall-mounted small and sleek design
- Advanced Flow Control german-patented technology
- A continuous and endless flow of hot water
- Auto-modulation feature for cost efficiency
- Noise-free with digital temperature display
- 7-year leakage and 3-year parts warranty included
- Installation isn’t as easy as other small water heaters
- CONTINUOUS FLOW – Advanced Flow Control patented technology invented by Stiebel Eltron, automatically maintains water temperature for constant comfort. It’ll reduce flow slightly if hot water demand exceeds capacity. Hot showers will never be interrupted again
- SPACE & ENERGY SAVER – Its small, sleek white design saves space yet still provides endless hot water for your whole house, and no venting is required. Eco friendly unit saves energy with auto-modulation and the ability to electronically control water flow. Savings monitor even shows how much you save on energy costs
- EASY OPERATION – Electronic switch activates the hot water heater and it’s noise free while in use. Has a digital temperature display and preset temperature and memory buttons, while the interior solid copper heating system does all the power work
- TEMPRA 24 PLUS – This specific model is 24kW, 240V, requires a min recommended electric service of 150 A, and offers an output water temperature of 68° to 140°F. Check our guides below to compare features of our various Trend and Plus models, each available in different kW levels
- WARRANTIES INCLUDED – Stiebel Eltron’s top-rated electric tankless water heaters perform with the highest standards for comfort and reliability. Our 7-Year Leakage and 3-Year Parts Warranties are included with purchase
The Camplux Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater is a convenient and efficient product, favored by many satisfied customers.
Built to a high level of quality, it has an elegant and sleek design, with a streamlined cover to make it look better. It can be easily installed, by being wall-mounted, shelf-mounted, or floor-mounted, as it perfectly adapts to your space and needs.
It has a 2.5-gallon water capacity and can provide you with hot water instantly and on-demand. It is made from a glass-lined material, which enhances durability and allows for a long and reliable lifespan.
This product has been UL Approved for safety, and it also features a High Limit device for protection when overheating. The thermostat control allows you to adjust the water temperature between 50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Highly efficient and easy to use, it is also protected from freezing (when not in use for a longer period of time), thanks to the snowflake setting on the temperature adjustment.
- Elegant and sleek design – highly efficient
- Wall-mounted, shelf-mounted, or floor-mounted
- 2.5-gallon water capacity
- UL Approved for safety
- Thermostat control and freezing protection
- The electrical cord for installation is smaller than average
- Saving Energy & Money - Built in insulation foam, reduces heat loss. 2.5-gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it.
- High Quality Built & Elegant Design- Camplux electric water heater has glass-lined tank for long service life and easy to maintain. Elegant streamline design cover, made your kitchen more pretty.
- UL Approval Safety - Thermostat Control allows adjustment of water temperature. High Limit device provide protection while overheating.
- 43.3‘’ cord plugs into 120 volt outlet for independent installation or in-line with a large hot water source.(Max. water pressure is 150 PSI, CSA listed Temperature & Pressure relief valve included)
- Can be shelf, wall or floor mounted ; Simply tap into the cold water line and install the water heater directly at the sink to provide hot water. Product dimension:11.75" W x 17.25" H x 10.38" D.
The Eccotemp Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater is another amazing energy-efficient option that will save you some money from the heating costs while remaining highly capable to provide you with the hot water you need.
The compact and small-size design allows it to fit almost anywhere, either floor or wall-mounted, with an easy installation. It has a 2.5-gallon water capacity, with a recovery time of 20 minutes.
It is reliable and convenient, able to provide you with instant hot water when needed. The water temperature is adjustable between 50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Eccotemp also features a temperature and pressure relief valve and is completely ETL Certified to ensure safety when in use.
As an Eco product, it is highly energy-efficient and will therefore save you some heating costs while in use, as it will only need as much energy as needed.
- Compact small design – floor or wall-mounted
- 2.5-gallon water capacity
- Adjustable water temperature
- ETL certified
- Highly energy-efficient – saves on eating costs
- Requires a recovery time of 20 min when full capacity is used
Best Small Water Heater Buyers Guide
A small water heater can prove to be extremely useful, especially if you’re wanting to save space at home or have limited space in your caravan or camping facilities.
The small and compact design doesn’t take away from the capacity, as small water heaters are just as efficient and can provide you with an endless flow of hot water upon demand.
They are also easier to install, and can often be more energy-efficient and cut down on heating costs! There are different types of water heaters, meaning you can choose the one that suits your needs and preferences the most.
However, whether you opt for a tank water heater or a tankless one, there are a few basic factors you should always take into consideration, to ensure that you’re choosing a high-quality and reliable product that covers all of the necessary basics.
To help you understand the different types, and give you some pointers about the different factors and different features to look out for, we’ve compiled this small buyer’s guide for you!
Types of Water Heaters:
There are two main types of water heaters, both efficient and a good option to go for:
Conventional Storage Tank Water Heater:
This type of water heater has a small tank where the water is both heated and stored. This means that the amount of water available at once is determined by the water capacity of the tank.
Once heated, the insulation of the tank keeps it hot until needed. Once empty, the tank then needs to reheat another batch of water, and this is known as the recovery time.
It is the most common type of water heater, popular for home use, as it is usually a lot more affordable and accessible.
On-Demand Tankless Water Heater:
This type of water heater, as the name indicates, has no tank.
Instead, it features super-heated coils that heat the water instantly as it travels through the heater on its way to be used. This means that it can provide an endless flow of hot water, with no limit on capacity, as the hot water is created on-demand.
However, if your demand exceeds its capacity for the amount of water it can heat per minute, the water will come out luke-warm or even cold, so it is something to consider.
They’re more expensive than conventional tank water heaters, but they can often be a lot more energy-efficient which saves you money in the long run.
Water capacity is an important factor to take into consideration when choosing your water heater, as it will determine the amount of water you have available at once.
Most small tank water heaters have an average capacity of 2.5 gallons.
On the other hand, tankless water heaters aren’t limited by tank capacity.
However, you should still check the water capacity per minute, as that will determine the flow of hot water they can provide, so that you make sure it’s within your demand and you don’t risk the water coming out luke-warm or even cold.
Design and durability:
Small water heaters have a compact and sleek design that allows them to take up as little space as possible, for comfort and convenience.
You should check which different ways the water heater can be installed so that you’re aware of where it can be fitted. Most water heaters can be wall-mounted or floor-mounted.
You also need to ensure that the water heater is highly durable and reliable so that it is worth the investment and proves useful for years to come.
It’s always good to check the product description for the materials it is made out of, as that will be a good indicator of how durable it will be.
Most water heaters have a water temperature control for you to adjust to the desired temperature.
However, it is good to check the exact range of the temperature, and you should always read the reviews to ensure that the water temperature is consistent and accurate.
Some tankless water heaters might struggle with the higher temperatures, and they might need to reduce the water flow in order to keep up with the heat demand.
When it comes to water heaters, finding the most energy-efficient option is always a top priority.
There are many Eco-smart options that offer self-modulating features and technology so that you save some money on long term heat costs.
A lot of small water heaters now use advanced technology to moderate the energy usage, so that they’re only heating as much water as is needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do small water heaters last?
The durability of a small water heater depends on the amount of use it is given, and on the amount of maintenance you give it.
If well looked after, a tank water heater can last up to around 12 years on average.
A tankless water heater, on the other hand, has an average lifespan of up to 8 or 10 years.
Can a tankless water heater fill up a tub?
This completely depends on the size of the water heater, as a larger size will mean it has a larger water flow capacity.
A smaller tankless water heater will still be able to fill a tub up, but it might take a lot longer to do so, or you risk the water not being as hot as desired.
Can I install a water heater myself?
Small water heaters are usually easier to install.
Nevertheless, you still need to have some electrical and plumbing knowledge in order to install it correctly and without risking any damage.
Manufacturers will usually recommend that the water heater is installed by professionals, just to be on the safe side and ensure it is fitted correctly to work efficiently.