Last Updated on November 21, 2020
If you’re looking at doing a DIY camper van conversion then follow along with us as we walk you step-by-step through the process of building our 2003 Mercedes Vito van.
We started with no experience, no relevant skills, and not much more than a rough idea of what we wanted to create.
This post will be constantly updated as we go through the buildout.
DIY Campervan Conversion Plan
- Buying a van
- Different types of vans
- Planning your layout
- Designing the aesthetic
- Remove old vinyl wrap
- Remove everything you can from inside
- Keep mats and trim etc to make templates
- Preliminary cleaning
- Grind off surface rust
- Deep clean so it’s spotless
- Spray anti-rust paint
- Final white paint coat
- Reinstall anything you’re keeping
- Make a note of anything that’s broken or needs replacing
- Stove & cooking
- Water & plumbing
- Solar & Electrical
- Van Life Essentials